Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Free To Be Me...

Ever feel like you are falling short of the mark?  As a woman, wife, and a mom, I feel that way several times a week!  You know what I mean....The laundry isn't done, you've not made your daughter's orthodontist appointment yet, a bill is past due, you're behind on a deadline at work, and you lost your patience this morning before 9 AM.  Sound familiar? But thanks to coaching from my dear friend and mentor, Carol Penney, I'm learning that Perfection is the Enemy of Excellence! 

Recently this has come up in conversation with my 14 year old daughter.  We've talked several times lately about making mistakes and falling short, but that perfection is NOT the goal.  Excellence is the goal - to be good at what you do and to be the person God has made us to be and just letting the rest go.  (Just let it go and feel a weight lifted!)

A new song, "Free To Be Me", by Francesca Battistelli speaks to this whole idea.  I just bought it on iTunes for 99 cents.  I'm convinced it's the best 99 cents I'm going to spend for the next month because of the encouragement it brings! Listen to a clip on iTunes or buy it and invest in yourself this week! Here are a few lyrics:

Sometimes I believe that I can do anything
Yet other times I think I've got nothing good to bring
But You look at my heart and you tell me 
That I've got all You seek
And it's easy to believe, even though...

I got a couple dents in my fender
Got a couple of rips of my jeans
Try to fit the pieces together
But Perfection is my Enemy
And on my own I'm so clumsy
But on Your shoulders I can see
I'm free to be me

And you're free to be you

No comments: