Saturday, May 2, 2015

Teaching Children to Sing





YOUR CHILD'S SINGING VOICE (SOL & MI)

Did you know that, in the Western world, children usually learn to sing the notes 'sol' & 'mi' first?  Think of  'Rain, Rain, Go Away,'  'A Tisket, A Tasket,' and our Kindermusik song, 'Seesaw...'  All are built around that 'sol-mi' interval!  In Kindermusik class, we foster your child's singing success by including 'sol-mi' songs in our repertoire - inviting him to join in singing, by starting with notes that may come more naturally to him.  Singing benefits us physically, emotionally, personally, and socially.  It exercises major muscle groups in the upper body.  It is an aerobic activity that improves the efficiency of your cardiovascular system, and encourages us to take in more oxygen (increasing our alertness).  Singing also releases endorphins into the body, helping to lower stress levels, and rid the body of tension. 

Kindermusik@Home:
  • Log in to your Kindermusik @ Home account, and read 'In My Sandbox' with your child!  For fun, you could sing to the tune of 'I Like to Walk in my Backyard,' as you turn each page ('I like to sit in my sandbox to see what I can see,' or 'I like to sit in my sandbox to see what I can see,' etc). 
  • Next, cue up the 'Seesaw' song on your home CD.  Find fun ways for your child to move up & down, during the song.  Can she sing along with this 'sol-mi' song?  What if you add vocal sound effects when you move up & down? 
  • Then, 'Chalk it Up!' Make homemade chalk, and create some fun new ways to play!  Can your voice follow the car as it drives on the chalky road?  Does it drive up & down hills?  Can you make up a new 'sol-mi' song as it goes? (Car, car, up & down, Car goes up.... Car goes down?)

No comments: